Maritime pilots are in a different situation from ships' bridge crews when it comes to the operation of ECDIS. They do not manage the system files or input and update data. Therefore, not all subjects covered in the IMO Model Course and TST Course are directly relevant to a Pilot‘s job. The course covers both generic topics and type-specific familiarisation that specifically addresses the Maritime Pilots’ needs.
Module 1: Generic module: Navigating with ECDIS
Module 2: Type-specific rules for various manufacturers
1. Understand the navigational functions of ECDIS
2. Direct the selection of and assess relevant information
3. Understand the potential errors of displayed data and the common errors of interpretation
4. Explain why ECDIS should not be relied upon as the sole source of navigational information
5. Be familiar with the features that are common to all ECDIS systems.
This course is designed for all officers of the bridge team involved in ensuring the safe navigation of the vessel.
Background as a maritime pilot, or experienced navigator in confined waters